A student can be referred to the Universal Accesibility and Disability Services (UADS) at any time. Not simply when they are experiencing difficulties with their studies. Students with disabilities who are currently coping with their study demands may still be interested to know about UADS and the services it offers. UADS can provide information on upcoming activities, specific programmes, funding schemes and provide referrals to internal and external support organisations.

Students who are experiencing difficulties are advised to contact UADS to explore the types of services we offer. Continuing students are also encouraged to be directed to our offices

It can be difficult to refer someone to the appropriate service if they have not disclosed that they have a disability. Advice on managing these circumstances can be found in the FAQ section.

Many students acquire or are diagnosed with a disability during their studies. Various support service units and centres, will work with students to develop strategies that assist in coping better.

How to refer

Often the best way to refer students to the UADS is to provide them with some basic information and contact details and leave it to the student to initiate contact. Directing students to UADS website, can also allow the student the opportunity to glance over the service in a non-intimidating way and then decide if they wish to follow up your referral.

Alternatively, you can refer students to the Student Counselling(Emthonjeni Student Wellness) Faculty Officer/Disability representative in your faculty/department, who may be able to assist the student, and can also act as a link between the faculty and our office